- Gender MaleFemale
- Eligible Region/Countries All
- Medium of InstructionEnglish
- Field of study Several
- Funding Type Partially Funded
- Duration 2 Years
The University of Alberta is now accepting applications for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship from international doctoral candidates. The Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship at the University of Alberta in Canada is a $45,000 fund from the Killam Trusts Scholarships.
Outstanding students registered in or admissible to a doctoral program can apply for this one-year’s scholarship subject to renewable in year two of the award. In addition, students can benefit from any applicable International Graduate Differential Fee and a certificate of acknowledgment.
Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship also includes an honorary status. If a student wins an external scholarship, s/he must accept the external award. Hence, the Killam Memorial Scholarship may become honorary and will get reduced or zero depending on the value of the external prize.
Application Procedure: Departmental Nomination Based
Departmental Nomination Deadline (GSMS Awards Portal): 15th February 2023 (10:29 pm AFT)
Host Organization: University of Alberta
Funding Body: Killam Trust
Degree Level: Doctoral
Eligible Countries: All
Fields of Study: Various
Benefits of Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship
Outstanding students can benefit from the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship program for one year’s scholarship subject to renewable in year two of the award. In addition, students can benefit from any applicable International Graduate Differential Fee and a certificate of acknowledgment.
Also, eligible holders of the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship at the graduate level can benefit from parental leave. This benefit is effective 01st January 2023 and intended to support beneficiaries who do not have access to other paid parental leave.
All candidates should meet the following requirements to apply for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship 2023:
- Registered in or admissible to a doctoral program which is up to and including the sixth year;
Note: Transferred students from a Master’s to a Doctoral program can benefit from the number of months completed during the Master’s program towards the Doctoral Program.
- Being registered in a full-time doctoral program for at least 18 months as of May 2023;
- Must not have completed more than 48 months in the doctoral program as of 31st December 2022;
- Hold first-class academic standing equivalent to a 3.5 Grade Point Average (GPA);
- Hold the citizenship of any country;
- Apply for all fields available in the University;
- Should have completed at least one year of graduate work at the master or doctoral level before 1st May or 1st September.
To receive the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship and the Dorothy J Killam Memorial Graduate Prize, submit any requirements to the relevant department. Applicants should apply before the departmental deadline and complete the followings. A complete application package includes the following:
- The Scholarship Application Form
- Two Reference Letters are completed and signed by each applicant’s referees; Also, applicants should submit a maximum of an additional two pages of confidential letter of reference to accompany the standard letter of reference form.
Note: Current doctoral students of the University should select one referee from their graduate program supervisor. The referees should submit the reference letters directly to the student’s department;
- Update Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies; Except for the University of Alberta, all other institutions must submit copies of the official transcripts.
Note: Submit a complete application package and review the application form and documents before submission.
By deadlines, the department must submit eligible nominations to the FGSR via GSMS Awards Portal. Please note that the departments with more than 100 current doctoral graduate students can nominate a maximum of 5 nominations. Departments with less than 100 current doctoral graduate students can select a maximum of 3 nominations for the current year.
The FGSR Graduate Scholarship Committee will adjudicate the competition. The FGSR will notify winners directly about their applications. The departments and students will not receive the final decisions until after the Killam Trustees meeting in May to early June 2023.
How to Apply for Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship?
All applicants should submit an online application for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship to their departments by the departmental deadline.
Check More Opportunities